What is Pedodontics (Pediatric Dentistry)?
Pedodontics is a branch of dentistry that monitors and treats the oral and dental health of children, as well as the development of the jaw and face area, from infancy. It also includes protective measures. In this period, pedodontists perform all kinds of preventive and curative treatments and preventive applications according to the oral and dental health needs of babies, children and young people.
What is Pedodontics?
Pedodontics is also known as pediatric dentistry. To protect the milk and permanent teeth of 0-13 age group children in a healthy way; It is a department that aims to eliminate the problems caused by caries, trauma, hereditary and similar factors in these teeth. It includes very important applications for the person to have a healthy mouth structure in later ages.
Who is a Pedodontist?
After completing their 5-year undergraduate education in dentistry faculties, dentists who have received specialization or doctorate training in the department of pedodontics are called pedodontists.
What Do Pedodontists Do?
- They ensure that children do not have fear of dentists.
- They make extractions of milk teeth and, if necessary, placeholder and child prosthesis.
- Pedodontists determine the caries risk group of the child and organize personal protective programs.
- They provide treatments to stop bad oral habits. (Finger sucking, nail biting, etc.)
- They organize and apply preventive practices that can be applied before tooth decay occurs.
- Pedodontists perform restorative and endodontic treatments of deciduous and young permanent teeth.
- They inform both the child and the family about oral and dental care in children.
- They control the regular progress of the child's jaw and tooth development.
What are Pedodontics Applications?
The main purpose of pediatric dentistry is to ensure that the person does not encounter any problems related to oral health in the future. Therefore, there are various applications in pedodontics.
Pedodontics applications are as follows:
- Oral and dental care
- Restorative treatments in primary and young permanent teeth
- Tooth extraction
- Protective and preventive applications from dental caries: Fluoride Gel, Fluoride Varnish, Fissure Sealant
- Treatment of dental traumas
- Child prostheses
- Endodontic treatments
- Treatment of bad oral habits
Why is Pedodontics Important?
The development of teeth and mouth begins equally in every individual with infancy. However, some genetic disorders or disorders in the dental structure of the person negatively affect the quality of the teeth and mouth structure. For this reason, early diagnosis is very important for the early treatment of disorders in the teeth and jaw structure. At this point, pediatric dentists do not only intervene for dental structures from infancy. At the same time, it can intervene by closely monitoring the bone development in the jaw and face area.
Pedodontists are people who have knowledge from infancy to the anatomical structure of the developing teeth in babies. Therefore, they can make the necessary investigations. In this way, they have the chance to diagnose problems that may occur in the future in the tooth structure more easily and earlier.
Necessary controls of oral and dental health for babies and children should only be done by a pedodontist. Pedodontics are not just for bone, jaw or tooth structure disorders; It is also very effective in general controls related to decayed teeth, milk teeth and oral care. It is strongly recommended that you show your child to a pedodontist in order to prevent the formation of cavities early.
Considering oral and dental health in infancy and childhood, as well as performing the necessary treatments and practices, are very important for protecting the oral health of the person in the future. Although correct oral care is important, it is much easier to maintain oral health when problems that may adversely affect oral health are detected at an early age.