Everything You Need to Know About Mouthwash
Gargle is a liquid that helps to eliminate bacteria and viruses that form in the mouth and throat. It can be prepared using various materials such as water, salt, vinegar, sage, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, peroxide or chlorhexidine. Additionally, some brands offer pre-made mouthwash products.
What is Mouthwash?
Gargle helps prevent discomforts such as bad breath, gum inflammation, sore throat, tonsillitis, and the common cold. However, using mouthwash alone is not sufficient and cannot replace other dental health measures like brushing teeth and flossing.
What Does Gargle Do?
Mouthwash is a liquid that helps to eliminate bacteria and viruses that form in the mouth and throat. Here are some situations where mouthwash can be beneficial:
How to Use Mouthwash?
You can follow these steps when using mouthwash:
- Read the label instructions: Every gargle is different. Therefore, it is essential to read the label instructions before use.
- Prepare the dosage: The quantity should be adjusted to allow for gargling for 20-30 seconds. Usually, mouthwashes have a dosage control mechanism on their caps.
- Gargle: You should use mouthwash by gargling for 20-30 seconds in your mouth. Move the gargle around your entire mouth and then spit it out.
- Rinse: If instructed on the label, rinse your mouth after spitting out the gargle. However, it is not recommended to use many antiseptic mouthwashes for gargling.
- Track usage frequency: Mouthwash can typically be used 1-2 times per day. However, some mouthwashes can be used more frequently or the usage frequency may vary as recommended by your doctor.
What Should be Considered When Choosing Mouthwash?
When choosing a mouthwash, the following factors should be considered:
- Purpose of the gargle: Mouthwashes are usually formulated for a specific purpose. Therefore, it is important to choose a mouthwash that has the necessary features for your needs.
- Label information: Each mouthwash is different and it is important to pay attention to the instructions stated on the label information. Label information that includes how to use the mouthwash, how often to use it and which age range it is suitable for can help you make the right choice.
- Content: The content of the gargle is an important factor in your choice. Some mouthwashes are not preferred by some people because they are alcoholic, while others contain fluoride and are beneficial in preventing tooth decay. Some are designed for specific needs, such as teeth whitening and contain special ingredients.
- Side effects: Some mouthwashes may cause side effects such as dry mouth, changes in taste and tooth sensitivity. Therefore, it is important to read the label information before using the mouthwash and consult with your doctor.
- Age: Some mouthwashes are recommended for certain age groups, while others are suitable for all age groups. Mouthwashes designed for children are formulated to meet the dental health needs of children.
- Frequency of use: The frequency of use for mouthwashes is specified on the label information. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to whether the mouthwash you choose can be used regularly at the desired frequency.
Mouthwash cannot replace other dental hygiene measures and should be used in conjunction with other measures such as brushing, flossing and regular dental check-ups.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Mouthwash Used For?
Mouthwashes help maintain oral hygiene and eliminate odors left by food. They also support eliminating the bad taste that remains in the mouth after consuming substances such as cigarettes, alcohol and garlic.
Which Gargle is Best for Oral Hygiene?
Fluoride gargle, also known as rinse water, which is recommended by dentists to be used in combination with fluoride toothpaste, helps strengthen tooth enamel. It provides extra protection for both children and adults.
Does Mouthwash Clean the Tongue?
Gargle can eliminate all residue on the tongue. However, brushing the tongue is still beneficial.
Can You Drink Water After Gargling?
It is not recommended to consume food and drink immediately after using gargle. Reading the instructions on the product you use will give you more precise information on this subject.