Fiber Post Application
Fillings made on teeth with excessive substance loss may result in failure. In order to avoid such unsuccessful results, dental post application is used in teeth that have undergone root canal treatment. If there is no solid wall in the tooth or if the existing walls are insufficient, fiber post application is often preferred.
WHAT IS DENTAL POST APPLICATION?
Dental post application is applied in cases where the loss of the tooth is high and the remaining tooth part is not suitable for filling. In short, it is a treatment method applied when all parts of the tooth are destroyed and remain in one piece. In this way, it is aimed to strengthen the tooth and prevent tooth loss.
There are different types of dental post application. These differences arise according to the structure of the posts.
- Traditional posts
- Prefabricated posts (passive and active posts)
- Fiber posts (posts reinforced with carbon, glass, quartz and polyethylene)
WHAT IS FIBER POST APPLICATION?
Fiber post application is a variation of dental post applications. It is a form of treatment applied to ensure that the filling to be made to the tooth is sound as a result of the loss of substance in the tooth. Fiber post application is generally used in anterior teeth.
IN WHICH SITUATIONS IS FIBER POST APPLICATION DONE?
- If the tooth wall is completely or largely gone and therefore the filling application will not be successful,
- If there is no problem in the roots of the teeth or root health can be restored with root canal treatment
- In the planned prosthetic infrastructure with support from bent, multi-angle teeth
- Angular arrangement of teeth
HOW IS FIBER POST APPLICATION DONE?
In dental post applications, mostly casting, screw or fiber use is preferred. Fiber post application is the insertion of a fiber rod into the root canal.
- Before starting the application, root canal treatment should be performed on the tooth. Fiber post application cannot be performed on teeth without root canal treatment.
- After the necessary space for the post is made, the area is cleaned with special solutions.
- If the post is to be prepared in the laboratory, its measurement is taken.
- The post is placed on the cleaned area with the help of special binders and then fixed.
- Finally, the top filling is prepared and the filling process is carried out.
HOW LONG DOES THE FIBER POST APPLICATION TAKE?
The duration of the session depends on whether the root canal treatment will be applied to the tooth to be treated. If root canal treatment has not been done before, root canal treatment is performed in 1 or 2 sessions.
If root canal treatment will not be applied, fiber post placement is done in a single session.
ADVANTAGES OF FIBER POST APPLICATION
Fiber post application offers many advantages. These advantages are;
- It shows high resistance against impacts.
- Abrasions such as corrosion do not occur.
- It is not metal. In this way, it is aesthetic.
- It has light transmittance.
- It allows the renewal of root canal treatment.
- It prevents tooth loss.
- It strengthens the tooth root.
- Since it does not contain metal, it does not cause allergic reactions.
- It reduces the risk of root fracture.
- The need for implants is reduced.
THINGS TO BE CONSIDERED AFTER THE APPLICATION
There are some points to be considered after fiber post application. These aspects also affect the longevity of the treatment. Things to consider:
- Oral hygiene must be strictly maintained. Not paying attention to oral hygiene shortens the life of fiber posts.
- Consuming extremely hard foods should be avoided. Because the structure of the tooth is weaker than its natural state. For this reason, hard foods can cause the tooth to break.
- One-sided chewing is another factor that shortens the life of fiber posts. Therefore, one-sided chewing should not be done.
- Habits that affect the inside of the mouth, such as clenching teeth and biting a pencil, should be abandoned. These habits damage both natural teeth and teeth with fiber posts.