Digital Smile Design
With the modern age and developing technology, the needs and expectations of people have also changed. Now, it is not just enough for teeth to be healthy and strong when it comes to teeth, but it is also important that the teeth have a perfect appearance. This is where digital smile design comes into play.
What is Digital Smile Design?
It is the creation of a personalized smile design in the digital environment and its application to the patient by the dentist through digital design software that analyzes personal data such as facial proportions, mouth and tooth structures of individuals who have lost their dental aesthetics for various reasons.
Digital smile design is a patient-oriented treatment method and aims to have a natural and aesthetic smile for the patient. For this, much data from gums to lips are evaluated. It usually takes 3 sessions to design the smile and apply it to the patient, with possible revisions.
In Which Situations Is Digital Smile Design Performed?
Smile design is an application used to treat shape and deformities that can be seen in the teeth and gums in cases where disproportion and tooth discoloration occurs and is used with many other applications.
Advantages of Digital Smile Design
The advantages of digital smile design are as follows:
- The patient who wants to have a smile design will see the appearance he /she will get when the treatment is completed, even before the treatment starts.
- It is a method that does not have bad results and leaves no room for error. Every digitally scanned data is produced technologically.
- All possible technological and digital possibilities are used in smile design. In this way, the treatment applied becomes personalized.
- Although it is an aesthetic treatment method, it is an application that also protects the person's oral health.
- The most accurate smile is created by applying many applications such as implants, prostheses, and gingival treatment in digital smile design.
Other Treatment Methods Used in Digital Smile Design
Digital smile design (Hollywood Smile) gives you an ideal smile, and many treatments are applied in a complicated way. The treatments applied are as follows:
- Implant Treatment
- Lamina Coating / Aesthetic Lamina Coating / Leaf Lamina Coating /
- Aesthetic Filling
- Endo Bleach
- Gum Aesthetics
- Orthodontic Treatments
- Zirconium and Porcelain Crowns
Other problems in the mouth can also be treated while smiling. For example, while aesthetic problems such as tooth discoloration, broken teeth, tooth crookedness, and gaps such as diastema between teeth can be eliminated, disorders that will cause tooth loss in the future, such as gingival aesthetics, can also be treated.
Digital Smile Design Process
Digital smile design is carried out with the following stages:
- First, the patient's photographs and video recordings are taken. These records form the first stage of smile design.
- Measurements are taken from the lower and upper jaws to commence the digital design.
- Photographs, video recordings, and mouth measurements are evaluated digitally by the dentist, and a smile design is made.
- The digital smile created with patient data is modeled. Then, a silicone mold is created from this model, and this mold is known as a mock-up.
- The mock-up is placed on the patient's teeth, and the design is examined in front of the mirror or by camera recording, and the patient's approval is obtained.
- After the patient's approval, the dentist draws up a treatment plan to solve the patient's possible existing problems.
- If the patient does not approve, a new design can be made according to the patient's wishes and desires.
- After applying the treatment map presented to the patient with its alternatives, the digitally designed smile design is given to the patient.
- Generally, an average of 3 sessions is sufficient for treatment.