What is Aesthetic Filling? How Is It Done?
Aesthetic filling involves using composite material on teeth to achieve a more natural and aesthetic smile design that matches the person's tooth color. The filling material is hardened with a halogen light, allowing it to chemically bond to the tooth. Aesthetic dental filling was introduced as an alternative to the unsightly appearance of black fillings.
What are the Characteristics of Aesthetic Dental Filling?
The characteristics of aesthetic dental filling that are often preferred are as follows:
- It can be used for many years with the same durability.
- It is compatible with the color and texture of teeth, making it easy to apply.
- Aesthetic fillings are the same color as teeth, making them indistinguishable from the outside.
- It looks aesthetic and natural.
- It can be applied to all age groups.
- Aesthetic filling is compatible with all tissues in the mouth.
- It does not cause allergic reactions.
- It does not create hot or cold sensitivity.
Why Should Aesthetic Filling be Done?
In cases where oral hygiene is not maintained or due to aging, teeth may experience decay, breakage and erosion. Esthetic dental filling procedures are used to restore broken and decayed teeth to their original form.
Aesthetic filling can be applied for the following purposes:
- Repairing decayed and broken teeth for any reason
- Correcting permanent discoloration of teeth
- Creating a personalized smile design by changing the shape of teeth
- Closing gaps between teeth or extending tooth height
How is Aesthetic Filling Done?
Aesthetic filling can be completed in a single session. Before the procedure, the application area is anesthetized with local anesthesia. This way, no pain is felt during the cleaning of the decay in the tooth and the application of the filling material.
Immediately after cleaning the tooth, the cavity filling material is shaped. This allows the filling material to adhere better to the tooth.
The surface area of the tooth enamel is made smooth and then a bonding process is performed to allow the filling material to bond to the tooth surface. After the filling material is placed in the tooth cavity, irradiation is performed to achieve the appropriate hardness level. If there are any protrusions or heights in the filling, they are corrected to give a smoother appearance. Finally, the teeth are polished.
How is Tooth Care Done After Filling?
Tooth care can be done as usual after filling. You need to clean your teeth and the spaces between them with toothpaste and dental floss. Using a hard toothbrush and toothpaste containing abrasive materials is not recommended.
What are the Advantages of Aesthetic Dental Filling?
The advantages of aesthetic filling treatment are as follows:
- They look natural and aesthetic.
- Aesthetic fillings are not noticeable from the outside because they are the same color as the tooth.
- They are fully compatible with oral tissues.
- Aesthetic dental filling can be applied to patients of almost any age.
- They are used for long periods with the same durability and functionality.
- Composite fillings and porcelain fillings do not cause any allergic reactions.
- Aesthetic fillings do not create sensitivity to hot and cold.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does an Aesthetic Filling Last?
Gold fillings last 15-30 years, while silver fillings can last 5-10 years. However, composite fillings, although not very durable, last an average of 3-5 years. They need to be replaced as their lifespan expires.
Does an Aesthetic Filling Damage the Tooth?
No damage is done to the tooth surface during the application of the filling. This is because fillings are applied to the inside of the tooth, not to the surface of the tooth.
Does an Aesthetic Filling Turn Yellow?
The smoothness of the polish applied at the end of the composite filling process is very important. Generally, fillings that lose their polish and harmony with the tooth become yellow. Therefore, if there is discoloration at the junction of the filling and the tooth, the compatibility of the filling has been compromised.
What Should be Done After Application?
After the filling application, it is recommended to stay in an upright position for 1-2 hours and avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours. Sports should not be done on the day of the filling procedure.