Tooth enamel erosion and its Treatment
Tooth enamel erosion occurs due to many different reasons. This problem, which can cause high tooth sensitivity, can also cause tooth decay in the later stages. Therefore, wear on tooth enamel can have much more serious consequences than you think. Therefore, it is extremely important to protect the enamel layer of the tooth.
Causes of Tooth Enamel Erosion
The factors that cause the tooth enamel erosion problem are as follows:
- The bristles of the toothbrush used are too hard
- Too much consumption of acidic and sugary foods
- Having a habit of biting hard objects
- Biting and chewing hard food
- Frequent consumption of starchy foods
- Using accessories such as piercings that rub against the teeth
- Brushing the teeth with too much pressure
- Having a habit of nail biting
- Using abrasive toothpastes
What are The Symptoms?
Tooth decay is one of the factors that negatively affect dental health. The biggest reason for this is the wear and loss of tooth enamel over time as a result of people's physiological disorders or improper dental care. In this case, the teeth are deprived of the protective enamel layer and tooth decay becomes inevitable.
Signs of enamel wear are as follows:
- Bleeding between teeth
- Dullness on the tooth surface
- Collapse at the junction of the teeth
- A rough structure in the appearance of teeth
- Serrated teeth
- Soft appearance on tooth surface
- Sensitivity of teeth to hot and cold
Tooth Enamel Erosion Treatment
Tooth enamel erosion, which manifests itself with tooth sensitivity, is generally ignored by patients. However, it should not be forgotten that this wear may result in tooth loss. Because the wear on the enamel layer can cause tooth decay over time.
If the dentin layer is also exposed due to the wear of the enamel layer, the bacteria and dental plaques present in the mouth begin to damage the tooth at a much more serious level. In this case, dental caries can also damage the pulp part of the tooth. Therefore, within the scope of the treatment to be applied, the dentin layer should also be closed.
In the treatment planning, first of all, the extent of the wear on the enamel layer of the tooth is determined. If the abrasion is still in its infancy, a treatment is applied to relieve the sensitivity. Within the scope of treatment, fluoride gel application is performed with the help of laser technology.
In case of advanced wear, different treatment options should be applied. Composite filling application is one of the most preferred treatments. Alternatively, porcelain lamina treatment can be preferred.
Your dentist will decide which method is suitable for you in the treatment of tooth enamel erosion. At this point, your task is; The problem is that you go to the dentist before it progresses.
What are The Ways to Prevent Tooth Enamel Erosion?
In order to avoid tooth enamel erosion, you can consider the following suggestions and thus prevent tooth enamel erosion.
- Consumption of acidic food and drink should be low and teeth should be brushed after consumption.
- Very hard foods should not be bitten or chewed with the teeth.
- Toothpastes with ingredients that prevent wear on tooth enamel should be preferred.
- Habits such as biting pencils or glasses, and biting nails should be stopped.
- The bristles of the toothbrush used should not be too hard or too soft.
- Too much pressure should not be applied while brushing teeth.
- Dry mouth also damages teeth. For this reason, care should be taken to ensure that daily water consumption is sufficient.
- A dentist should be visited for routine oral and dental health checks. Dentist control should be carried out twice a year, every 6 months.