What to Consider During the Orthodontic Treatment Process?
Orthodontic treatment is an effective solution aimed at correcting issues such as irregularities, misalignment of teeth, or jaw problems. This treatment is often carried out using appliances like braces or clear aligners. However, the orthodontic treatment process involves the patient's patience, cooperation, and regular check-ups. To succeed in this process and achieve the desired results, paying attention to specific factors is crucial.
What is Orthodontic Treatment?
Orthodontic treatment, also known as braces treatment, is an orthodontic method used to correct the position of teeth and establish a proper bite pattern. It is typically implemented using metal brackets, wires, and elastics. The treatment is chosen for both aesthetic and functional reasons and can last from a few months to several years.
Why is Care Important During Brace Treatment?
Care during the orthodontic treatment process is critical for its success. Braces exert pressure on teeth to change their position and alignment, aiding in the movement of teeth and reshaping the jaw. However, without proper care, various issues can arise. These problems include:
- Gum Issues: Incorrect cleaning can lead to inflammation of the gums (gingivitis) or even more severe gum diseases.
- Extended Treatment Period: Lack of proper care can extend the duration of braces treatment, and the desired results may not be achieved.
- Tooth Decay: Braces can trap food particles and bacteria, leading to tooth decay.
- Color Changes: Braces may cause color changes around the teeth, resulting in aesthetic issues.
- Broken or Damaged Braces: Poor eating habits or accidents can lead to broken or damaged braces.
Things to Consider During the Orthodontic Treatment Process
There are a few factors that you should keep in mind during your braces treatment. These factors are:
- Do Not Miss Your Regular Check-ups: Regular check-ups are crucial during the orthodontic treatment process. Attending scheduled appointments allows the evaluation of treatment progress and necessary adjustments.
- Get In Contact in Case of Discomfort: Feeling some discomfort after getting braces is normal. However, if you experience excessive pain, or sharp edges, or notice any issues with the braces, contact your dentist immediately.
- Establish Regular and Proper Cleaning Habits: Braces can make cleaning teeth a bit challenging. Therefore, pay attention to using an appropriate toothbrush, dental floss, or interdental brushes for effective cleaning.
- Avoid Hard and Abrasive Foods: With braces, avoid consuming hard or abrasive foods as they may damage the teeth. Stay away from snacks like chips and hard candies. Also, refrain from using your teeth to open or bite into hard objects.
- Be Prepared for Emergency Situations: Emergencies related to braces or appliances can occur. In case of issues like brace breakage or uncomfortable brace ends, seek prompt assistance from your dentist.
- Pay Attention to Horizontal and Vertical Chewing Habits: During orthodontic treatment, being mindful of horizontal and vertical chewing habits is crucial. Following your dentist's recommendations can help control your chewing habits, positively affecting the treatment process.
- Don't Neglect the Use of Retainer After Treatment: Following the completion of orthodontic treatment, regularly using the retainer is essential for maintaining the results. Consistent use of the retainer can contribute to the permanence of the achieved outcome.
The orthodontic treatment process requires the patient to be actively involved. Maintaining good communication with your dentist ensures the successful completion of the treatment. By adhering to the recommendations above and following your dentist's advice, you can make your orthodontic treatment process more comfortable and effective.