10 Things You Should Know About Dental Implants
Missing teeth disturb people in terms of aesthetics, but also bring some health problems. With the development of technology, missing teeth can be easily completed and damage to other teeth can be prevented. At this point, we have compiled 10 points you need to know about the dental implant that comes into play.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root placed in the jawbone to complete missing teeth. The fact that it does not harm other teeth makes this treatment method often preferred.
What are the Benefits of a Dental Implant?
Dental implants offer you various benefits:
- It can be preferred instead of making a bridge in single tooth loss.
- It prepares a solid infrastructure for removable dentures in multiple tooth losses. It also allows for fixed prosthesis.
- Placing an implant in the edentulous area allows the bone to regain function. It also prevents bone loss.
- It increases the comfort of life thanks to its easy use.
- It provides an aesthetic looking. Therefore, it eliminates the aesthetic anxiety caused by missing teeth.
- It allows you to eat anything you want.
To Whom The Implant Is Not Applied?
Implant application is not suitable for everyone.
- People with bad general health,
- People who smoke a lot,
- People who have the habit of clenching their teeth,
- People with advanced bone resorption,
- People with advanced diabetes,
- It is not a treatment that can be applied to people whose jaw structure is not suitable.
If you are not suitable for implant dental treatment, the dentist will tell you which treatment is most appropriate.
In Which Situations Is Implant Dental Treatment Applied?
Implant dental treatment is applied in the following cases:
- It is a treatment that can be applied to patients who have lost a single tooth,
- More than one tooth,
- or all their teeth.
Multiple implant treatment is applied to patients who have lost all their teeth.
How Long Does the Implant Treatment Take?
A dental implant is a two-stage treatment. The first step is the placement of the implant. At this stage, 2-3 months are expected. This is because the implant fuses with the bone. The second stage is the application of the prosthesis on the implant. Implant prosthesis is applied within 1 day.
What are the Points You Need to Consider Before Getting an Implant?
- Dental implants are artificial tooth roots placed in living tissue in the jawbone. That's why you don't like it, you don't have the luxury of saying let's remove it. Therefore, you should have made your final decision before placing the implant tooth.
- Implant treatment should definitely be done by experts. Having it done by non-specialists because of low wages may cause you to encounter serious problems.
10 Things You Should Know About Implant Teeth
- The most important factors affecting the success of the treatment in implant application is the bone structure. Therefore, it is essential that you have a suitable bone structure for the implant. For this reason, the bone tissue is determined before the treatment and then treatment planning is started according to the situation.
- The gums must be healthy before the implant treatment and as long as the implant remains in the mouth. In addition, the loads on the implant should be minimized during the first 3 – 6 months in order to ensure the bonding of the implants with the bone.
- Smoking should be stopped in order to avoid any problems in the healing process, especially in the first periods. Smoking increases the risk of infection.
- The life of a dental implant depends on several factors. As long as oral and dental care is given importance, dental implants can be used for a lifetime.
- To prolong the life of the dental implant, you should brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss once a day. At the same time, you should not neglect mouthwash.
- Implants are made of metals such as titanium.
- There is no such thing as the body's rejection of the implant. At the same time, an allergic condition is not encountered.
- The experience of the dentist who will apply the dental implant treatment is very important.
- It is very easy to use. It does not cause any problems in chewing functions.
- It is a treatment that can be applied even to patients who have no teeth in their mouths.