Practical Solutions for Teething in Babies
Teething discomfort is a common problem experienced by babies as their teeth erupt. The process of teething can cause irritation and discomfort to their gums. This can make babies restless and fussy. Fortunately, there are a number of effective solutions to relieve teething in babies.
What Causes Teething in Babies?
Teething in babies is the process of teeth erupting through the gums. Teething usually starts around six months of age, although it can vary from baby to baby. As the teeth push through the gums, this can cause swelling, redness and sensitivity in the gums, leading to teething discomfort in babies.
What are the Symptoms of Teething in Babies?
The following are common signs of teething discomfort in babies:
- Swelling and redness of the gums during teething.
- Increased sensitivity in the gums as the teeth start to come through.
- Babies may have a strong desire to rub or bite their gums to relieve teething discomfort, often by putting their hands, toys or other objects in their mouths.
- Changes in appetite during teething.
- Teething in babies discomfort can make babies fussy and irritable.
- Some babies may have a slight fever (37.8-38.3°C) during teething.
- Babies produce more saliva during teething.
Tips for Relieving Teething Discomfort in Babies
Cold application is an effective way to relieve teething discomfort in babies, as cold helps to reduce gum swelling and discomfort. Here are some options:
- Teething rings: You can use teething rings that can be chilled in the freezer. Gently pressing the chilled teething ring against your baby's gums can provide relief.
- Cold washcloths: Take a clean baby wipe or face cloth, soak it in water and then wrap it around ice. Gently applying these cold washcloths to your baby's gums can help relieve teething discomfort.
Special Teething Toys
Specially designed teething toys can also be used to relieve teething in babies. These toys provide gentle gum massage and help with the teething process. Some types of teething toys you can use include:
- Silicone teething toys: These silicone teething toys are easy to apply to your baby's gums and come in a variety of shapes. Some can be refrigerated for added relief.
- Wooden teethers: Made from natural wood, these teething toys massage the gums and provide relief.
- Teething gels: Teething gels are specially formulated gels that can be applied to your baby's gums to provide relief. These gels are usually vegetable based and contain natural ingredients. When applied to the gums, they have a soothing and cooling effect.
Gently massaging your baby's gums with clean fingers is another effective way to relieve teething in babies discomfort. After cleaning your fingers, you can gently massage your baby's gums. This will help reduce pressure on the gums and provide relief. Use a soft touch when massaging the gums and make sure your baby is comfortable.
Cold and Soft Foods
Cold and soft foods can be used to relieve teething discomfort in babies.
- Cold fruit or vegetables: You can offer your baby cold and soft fruits or vegetables, such as sliced or grated carrots, cucumber or banana. These are not only gentle on the gums but are also nutritious.
- Chilled fruit purees: You can make fruit purees for your baby and keep them in the fridge to keep them cold. These chilled fruit purees can help relieve teething discomfort.
Distractions and Play
Distraction and play can also help relieve teething discomfort in babies. By redirecting their attention, you can reduce their focus on teething discomfort. For example, giving your baby a soft toy to chew on can help distract them.
Remember to monitor your baby during the teething process and contact your paediatrician if you have any concerns or if the discomfort persists.