What Causes Gum Itching?
Gum itching can occur when the gums are irritated due to infection or injury. Since it can be caused by many different factors, it is important to determine the underlying cause first.
What is Gum Itching?
Gum itching is a condition characterized by a feeling of itching, sensitivity and sometimes pain in the gums.
Itching can be a symptom of gum disease. Therefore, regular dental check-ups and taking care of gum health is important. It should be diagnosed by a dentist. At the same time, the underlying cause should be treated.
Why Does it Happen?
Common conditions that cause gum itching include the following:
- Gum disease: Gum disease can cause inflammation in the gums. Gingivitis is a gum disease where the gums become inflamed. Periodontitis is a more serious condition that damages the gums, connective tissue and bones of the teeth.
- Oral hygiene: Not brushing your teeth regularly and not using dental floss can cause the accumulation of a sticky substance called dental plaque. This condition can lead to gum irritation and gum disease.
- Smoking: Smoking can cause infections and inflammation in the gums.
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes, especially during pregnancy or menopause, can cause irritation and itching in the gums.
- Braces or dental prostheses: Braces or dentures can cause irritation and itching in the gums by applying pressure to the gums.
- Dry mouth: Dry mouth can cause dryness and irritation in the gums.
In addition to the mentioned causes, some medications and diseases can also cause it. If you are experiencing gum itching, it is important to consult a dentist to determine the underlying cause and receive appropriate treatment.
What is the Treatment for Gum Itching?
The methods that can be used in the treatment are as follows:
- Treatment for dry mouth: Dry mouth is a condition that can cause gum itchiness. To treat dry mouth, a person should drink water frequently and change or reduce the dosage of medications that cause dry mouth.
- Dental cleaning: Gum disease is one of the most common causes of gum itching. Treatment for gum disease begins with cleaning and caring for the gums. A dentist can perform a teeth cleaning procedure to clean the gums and remove plaque.
- Quitting smoking: Smoking can cause gum inflammation and itching. Therefore, avoiding smoking or quitting smoking can help improve gum health.
- Treatment for gum infection: If gum itching is due to gum infection, the dentist will recommend treating the infection. This treatment may involve antibiotic use or gum surgery in more serious cases.
- Adjustment of dental prostheses: Dental prosthetics can cause gum itchiness by exerting pressure on the gums. In this case, the dentist will recommend adjusting or replacing the dental prostheses.
Recommendations for Gum Itching
Here are some suggestions regarding gum itching:
- Regular brushing: Gum itchiness is a sign of gum disease. Therefore, it is important to develop the habit of brushing teeth and using dental floss and to brush teeth at least twice a day for gum health.
- Dental check-ups: Regular dental check-ups are important for gum health.
- Oral hygiene: Paying attention to oral hygiene helps to protect gum health. Therefore, the use of dental floss and mouthwash is recommended.
- Healthy eating: Eating healthy is important for gum health. Therefore, consuming foods that contain sufficient amounts of vitamin C and calcium is beneficial for gum health.
- Not smoking: Smoking can cause gum inflammation and itching. Therefore, not smoking is important for gum health.
- Preventing dry mouth: Dry mouth can cause gum itchiness. Drinking enough water is important to prevent dry mouth. Also, identifying the factor causing dry mouth and taking necessary precautions is necessary.