What is Aesthetic Dentistry? What Are Its Applications?
Aesthetic dentistry is the field of dentistry that allows the individual to have an aesthetically impressive tooth and jaw structure as well as being healthy. The aesthetic image aimed in this area is determined according to the physical and social characteristics of the individual. For this reason, the applications used in aesthetic dentistry vary from person to person.
What is Aesthetic Dentistry?
Aesthetic dentistry affects your smile at the following points:
- General health and
worn teeth, periodontitis , discolored teeth, misshapen teeth or unwanted gaps between teeth, that may cause a decrease in your self-confidence, can be eliminated with aesthetic dentistry.
In Which Situations Can Aesthetic Dentistry Practices Be Performed?
Applications of aesthetic dentistry can be used in the following situations:
- Presence of discoloration or dark and colored teeth due to many reasons
- Presence of broken anterior teeth due to accidents
- Presence of anterior tooth caries due to many reasons
- Presence of bad-looking teeth due to receding gums
- Necessity of aesthetic shaping of teeth after gingival treatments
- The necessity of shaping the teeth lost due to many reasons in the anterior region in accordance with lip and facial aesthetics
What are the Methods Used in Aesthetic Dentistry?
The methods to be used vary according to the existence of the problem. The applications of aesthetic dentistry are as follows:
Porcelain Dental Veneers
Aesthetic dentistry application that gives successful results in the absence of one or more teeth or when the teeth are unhealthy in many respects . It can be accomplished with several different techniques. These techniques are as follows:
- Metal supported veneer: Metal supported porcelains are porcelains that prevent the fragility of the porcelain material. In this way, a durable infrastructure is created and coatings are used safely for many years. However, with the developing technology , alternative applications that look aesthetically elegant are often preferred instead of metal-containing materials.
- Laminated Porcelain: There is no need to cut the teeth in this treatment method. Therefore, it is applied by abrading the teeth without the need for cutting. It is a procedure that is applied by sticking thin porcelain tissues to the teeth that have been minimally rasped. It is also known as leaf porcelain. It is a costly application. However, it is frequently preferred in dentistry, especially in anterior teeth.
- Zirconium Porcelain : It is one of the most popular aesthetic dentistry treatment methods in recent years. The fact that it is white in color and the bottom base is durable makes it often preferred. At the same time, providing a natural appearance is very advantageous in terms of aesthetics.
- Full Porcelain Veneers such as E-Max: It has reinforced porcelain in its substructure. They are also the most aesthetically advanced coatings. Laboratory stages are carried out within computer-aided special scanner and printer systems.
Adhesive (Bonding) Systems
Adhesive systems, which are one of the applications of aesthetic dentistry, are applications that enable the changes to be made in the characteristics of the tooth, such as shape, color and size, by bonding to the tooth. It turns out to be quite practical applications.
The advantages of adhesive processes are as follows:
- It provides filling of spaces between teeth.
- It provides filling of broken teeth.
- Provides shaping of worn teeth.
- Allows tooth color change.
Pink aesthetics is also known as gum aesthetics. It is a frequently used treatment method in aesthetic dentistry practices. It is used to eliminate aesthetic problems that occur in the soft and hard tissues surrounding the tooth and originate from the gingiva.
Composite fillings are aesthetic dental fillings that have replaced the gray fillings (amalgam fillings) used in the past in dentistry. A natural appearance is provided with these fillings. Provided the necessary maintenance, it offers the possibility of use for a period of 5 to 10 years.