What is Prosthetic Teeth Treatment? How is it done?
Prosthetic teeth treatment, which can be applied in the loss of one or more teeth, is a treatment that allows people to regain their lost life comfort. It is a method frequently used in tooth loss. The fact that it can be applied differently in different situations is one of the biggest reasons why it is often preferred.
What is Prosthetic Teeth (Prosthesis) Treatment?
Prosthetic teeth treatment is a treatment that replaces lost teeth and regenerates lost oral tissues. It aims to restore the lost aesthetic appearance and functions such as chewing and speaking to the patient.
In Which Situations Is Prosthetic Teeth Treatment Applied?
Prosthetic teeth treatment can be applied in case of missing teeth. However, it is mostly applied to patients who are late for treatment. In this way, even if you are late for treatment, your lost tooth or teeth can be regained with different types of prosthesis.
What are the Advantages of Prosthetic Teeth?
The advantages of the denture are as follows:
- It provides the recovery of functions such as chewing and speaking, which are lost due to the missing teeth.
- It provides an aesthetic image to be captured.
- It improves the oral health of the person and makes him/her feel good psychologically.
What Are the Types of Prosthesis Used in Prosthetic Teeth Treatment?
Fixed and removable prostheses are generally used in the treatment of prosthetic teeth. However, implant-supported prostheses can also be evaluated within the scope of prosthetic dental treatment.
The type of prosthesis to be applied is decided by the dentist and the appropriate treatment plan is created.
The prostheses used in prosthetic dental treatment are as follows:
Fixed Prostheses: It is performed with support from existing healthy teeth or implants. It is fixed in the mouth with different chemicals. Commonly used fixed prosthesis types are as follows:
- Crown: It is also known as coating among the people. It is used to eliminate the factors that disrupt the integrity of the teeth caused by large caries and tooth fractures. In addition, the gaps between the teeth can be closed with a crown.
- Metal Supported Porcelain Veneer: Although the visible part of this type of prosthesis is porcelain, the inside of the coating consists of metal. Therefore, the light transmittance is low. Therefore, metal-supported porcelains create some problems in terms of naturalness.
- Zirconium Supported Coating: The light transmittance of zirconium supported crowns used in prosthetic dental treatment is quite high. Therefore, it is the closest type of coating to the natural appearance. The visible part of the tooth consists of porcelain, and the inner part consists of zirconium.
- Bridge: It is a treatment applied in cases where one or more teeth are lost. Healthy teeth next to the existing tooth cavity are used as bridge abutments. Bridge treatment is a treatment that can be done with different techniques such as traditional, winged and hanging. It is applied to replace one or more lost teeth. In this way, the lost functions and aesthetic appearance of the person are restored.
- Implant: It is a type of prosthesis applied to eliminate the negativities caused by tooth loss. The fact that it can be used efficiently for many years and that different types of prostheses can be placed on the implants are the main reasons why this treatment method is often preferred. With the artificial tooth root placed in the jawbone, there is no disruption in the chewing function.
Removable Prostheses: Removable prostheses used in prosthetic teeth treatment are also known as palate prosthesis among the people. It is a treatment method applied to patients who have lost all their teeth.
Implant Top Prostheses: This type of prosthesis can be defined as the placement of fixed or removable prostheses on existing or future implants. It can be applied to people who have no teeth but have the appropriate bone level and structure for the implant. The main purpose of implant-supported prostheses; It is to ensure the attachment of removable or fixed prostheses.