Frequently Asked Questions About Night Plaque
Teeth grinding can cause many oral and jaw problems. Therefore, it is extremely important to prevent teeth grinding. Appliances called night plaque, which are usually used at night are used to improve the quality of life of patients with teeth grinding problems.
What is a Night plaque?
A night plaque is a transparent appliance prepared in a laboratory after taking the measurements of the teeth of patients with complaints of teeth grinding and usually applied to the upper jaw.
The clenching and grinding of teeth during sleep can cause wear on the teeth and tension-type pain in the head and neck muscles. The aim of this plate is to prevent these problems.
Who Should Use a Night Plaque?
The patient groups who need to use night plaque are as follows:
- People with wear on their teeth due to grinding
- People who notice that their teeth are in contact when watching TV or reading something during the day
- People who experience teeth grinding problems during stressful periods
- People who complain of jaw and head/neck pain when waking up from sleep
How to Use a Night Plaque?
The use of a night plaque is as follows:
- Firstly, you should consult a dentist to prepare the plate. If your dentist deems it appropriate for you to use a clear aligner, they will begin the necessary procedures for the plate.
- Your plate is prepared by taking measurements from your teeth and jaw and taking out molds.
- The best use of the plate is to use it for 4 hours during the day. You will see its effect within a few days after using the clear aligner.
- You should wear and use the plate before going to bed at night.
- If you also experience problems such as teeth grinding or clenching in daily life, it is suitable to use it during the day.
How to Clean a Night Plaque?
Cleaning the night plaque is essential for prolonging its lifespan. Therefore, cleaning the clear aligner should be a part of daily dental care. The most important thing to pay attention to is not to use hot water when cleaning the guard, as hot water can soften and change its shape.
After each use, you should rinse the night plaque with water. Only the water cleaning method should be used to prevent it from wearing out. You can also use a soft toothbrush to brush it with just water. This way, all residues that stick to the guard during sleep can be removed.
When cleaning the night plaque, hard-bristled toothbrushes should be avoided. Your dentist will provide you with detailed information on how to clean the guard. It is recommended that you follow your dentist's recommendations.
How Long Should it be Used?
The duration of clear aligner usage varies from person to person. However, it can generally be used for 6 months to 3 years. Following factors are effective over this period:
- The severity of teeth grinding
- The quality and type of your clear aligner
Should the Night Plaque be Renewed?
In some cases, the night plaque needs to be replaced. These situations are as follows:
- If the guard no longer fits your jaw structure
- If the clear aligner causes mouth sores
- When you notice cracks, tears, or holes in the plaque
- If there is color fading on the clear aligner
When Should the Use of the Clear Aligner Stop?
The signs indicating that you no longer need to wear a night plaque are when teeth grinding and jaw clenching cease. Your dentist will determine if you still need to wear it during the dental examination.
Teeth grinding has a destructive effect on oral health. Night plaques are your most important helpers in protecting against these destructive effects. You may experience teeth grinding or jaw clenching problems for a few months or years, especially during stressful periods of life. Stress and anxiety are one of the most significant causes of this problem. In such cases, you should definitely consult a dentist and take necessary precautions.