Which Foods Cause Tooth Stain?
The yellow, dull and stained appearance of the teeth is a very disturbing situation. It can also cause people to hide their smiles. For this reason, attention should be paid to the food and beverages consumed, as well as oral hygiene to prevent tooth stain.
What are the Causes of Discoloration in Teeth?
Factors that cause tooth discoloration and tooth stain formation are as follows:
External Factors: Discoloration of teeth occurs due to reasons such as consumed foods, drinks and tobacco.
Internal Factors: Tooth stains occur due to medications, tooth decay and genetic reasons.
Age-related Factors: As we age , the enamel on the teeth begins to wear away. This usually causes a yellow appearance.
What Do Colors Indicate About Tooth Stain?
The colors that occur on the teeth indicate the cause of tooth stains or what kind of problem there is in the teeth.
● Yellow: Especially tobacco use is one of the leading factors that cause yellowing of the teeth. In addition, tea, coffee or alcoholic beverages, not brushing the teeth enough and sugary foods are also among the causes of yellow color.
● Brown There are many causes of brown tooth stains or discoloration. Some of the most common causes are tooth decay, tartar build-up, red colored drinks and foods, and consuming too much tea and coffee.
● White: White color is usually a sign of tooth decay. Decay first starts with a white staining on the tooth. If left untreated, it progresses to cavities that require treatments such as filling and root canal treatment.
● Black: Tooth cavities, fillings and crowns containing silver sulfide cause black stains on teeth.
● Purple: People who consume a lot of certain alcoholic beverages have a purple undertone on their teeth.
What Foods Cause Tooth Stains?
Foods and drinks that cause tooth stain is as follows:
Pasta Sauces: Pasta sauces can cause stains on your teeth. Because the acid level and sticky colors in them can easily penetrate the teeth.
Curry Sauce: This sauce, which has started to be consumed too much today, causes yellow stains on the teeth.
Balsamic Vinegar: Balsamic vinegar, one of the indispensables of salads, has a strong effect on tooth color. These vinegars can cause darkening in tooth color. If these vinegars that settle on the teeth are not cleaned in a short time, they accumulate and cause tooth stains.
Berries such as Blackberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Cranberries etc: Fruits such as blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and cranberries cause tooth stain due to the antioxidants they contain. In addition, jams made from these fruits can cause teeth staining.
Tea, Coffee and Alcoholic Beverages: Soft drinks are among the most important causes of tooth staining. Continuous and frequently consumed beverages such as tea, coffee, wine, carbonated drinks, energy drinks cause enamel erosion and staining on the teeth. If you do not want to stain your teeth while consuming beverages, you can use a straw. In this way, the drinks go directly to your stomach without touching your teeth and staining does not occur.
Convenience Foods: Food dyes in energy drinks and convenience foods also accelerate the formation of stains.
Before consuming the foods and drinks that cause stains on your teeth mentioned above, you can consume greens such as spinach, kale, broccoli or salad to prevent stains on your teeth. These foods form a film on your teeth. This prevents food from reaching your teeth. At the same time, if you consume these foods and drinks, you should definitely brush your teeth and ensure oral and dental hygiene. Otherwise, these foods cause tooth stain.